Thursday, December 20, 2012

TSRCC

 Mary presented the challenge for this month. Use embossing---wet or dry. Use the colors, gold, orange, burgundy and green. She dry embossed her title and leaves. Her color choice was perfect for a fall layout.
 Jan did a lot of stamping and embossing. Even the postcard is stamped.
 This is the end page that Jan made for her AYM album. She used my final words to the group as her journaling. I'm honored!
 Barbie also did a fall layout. She stamped and embossed too.
 Pam embossed her little fishies that she cut on the Cricut. She made a larger one, folded it, mounted it on the edge of the page and put her journaling inside. Clever.
 Linda embossed the trims and stamped her hand cut trees. She and I both went with a Christmas theme.
My layout was about my new internet friend, Sian. I used a Versamark refill bottle to "draw" the Christmas tree and emboss it with silver. I then swiped all of the page edges and embossed them too. Inside the card is Sian's "Christmas Pudding" recipe.

The journaling reads:

It’s no secret that I am “smitten with Britain.” Little did I know that the Internet would be responsible for connecting me with a Brit! I met Sian through her blog “High in the Sky” about a year ago. I have had so much fun catching a glimpse into the everyday life of my new friend. Although it is unlikely that we will ever actually meet in person, it’s not impossible. Who knows where our travels may take us. Either which way, I get to know her a little better with each blog post.

Recently she mentioned her Christmas pudding in one of her posts. That led to an email discussion about the ingredients that I did not understand. I had never heard of vegetable suet (which is Crisco here), sultanas (which are golden raisins) and “grease proof paper” (which is parchment paper). I’m still not sure what “mixed spice” and “mixed peel” are. They say “self-raising”, we say “self-rising”. Whereas we “measure” our cups and ounces, they “weigh” theirs.  (Not to mention---minding your “P’s” and “Q’s”---which referred to keeping track of the “pints and quarts” you drank in the olden days of English pubs). We say, “pour” they say “tip”.

It has been so much fun learning the different ways we refer to things. Somehow, the way the British speak, sounds so much more refined. Regardless of how we say stuff, none of this “learnin’” (said in a southern twang) would have been possible without the Internet. It is truly a “magical thing.”

Kathy has presented the challenge for next month. Any colors. Bring a hand made item or an idea for one to share with the group.



No comments:

Post a Comment