Monday, April 13, 2015

March---Childhood Memories

 Erin:
My Favorite Childhood Memories
Erin & Dana: Cousin Dana and I are only 18 months apart. With neither of us having any sisters, it worked out well that we had each other to play with. We would love to play at Grandma’s house, especially when Grandma had us over in the summer for “Vacation.” We would catch fireflies, put the flag on the pole and play endless hours of “office” with Grandma’s supplies. I’m sure this lead to my professional life today. Then there was always “statue” where we would freeze when a car would drive by.  

Grandma and Grandpa Stamm would also take the whole family on vacation- usually to Holiday Inn and most often in Cape Girardeau. We would pile in a few huge vans and off we went. These family vacations where I got to play with all of my cousins and swim in the pool were awesome as a kid. We would usually get a trip to Show Biz Pizza (now Chuck E. Cheese) also. As we got older the girls would go shopping too. These “vacations” are some of my all-time favorite memories.
CANDYLAND: Is there any better game than this??? When my Dad would get home I was always ready with my game and we would usually sit downstairs and play. Ryan would try to play also and sometimes I would let him win.
Easter: Easter at Grandma Stamm’s was always so much fun! We each had to find the “special” egg with our name on it. I never knew until I was much older how our names got on our eggs.  Grandma even crotched us each our own basket. I still have mine and now have one for Nathan.  The egg hunt was always the best followed by Grandma’s famous sugar cookies iced with Easter colors.   


Bike Riding: Ryan and I would ride our bikes for hours, especially at Green Leaf Gardens when my Grandma & Grandpa Weber owned this business. I had a pink Schwinn 10 speed bile that I thought was awesome. I kept a plain yellow bike with a big banana seat at Grandma Weber’s. We’d get to take our bikes to Grandma Stamm’s since it wasn’t that far and ride around the truck lot- it was the perfect circle path for bike riding. 
READING: Ryan and I would always read “The Little Engine that Could” pictured here. As I got older I read the entire “Babysitter Club” series and many of the Goosebumps books. I wish I had more time to read now! I was the kid who would sneak a flashlight and read in bed at night, I guess there are worse things I could have been doing!
 Karolyn's layout.
 Nancy:
      Growing up school plays and Halloween were always greatly anticipated mainly due to the costume.  Being number four in a family of seven children I usually had to wear a hand-me-down, being who I am that was always okay.  One year Mom took a dress pattern and turned it into a black and orange pumpkin. Having six daughters this attire got lots of wear. At school one Christmas the girls in second grade had to be trees.  Several mothers designed a pattern including cone hats with a star on top.  My angel costume was my favorite, maybe because I constructed the wings and crown all by myself.
        Granny Mo even put her expertise to work making costumes for Paige and Leigh.  Red Riding Hood and Snow White were worn over and over and even voted much nicer than the ones at the Disney Store! I even took an old pair of Mary-Janes and turned them into the red Ruby Slippers and they got glitter everywhere. So many good memories from all of the costumes through the years, I just wish I had the fore sight to save at least one of them. 
 Susan's layout.
 My layout.




Jeanne's journaling:
Jeanne's journaling. Hopefully layout to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Such special layouts
    I loved reading your childhood memories and sounds like you had a wonderful one :)

    ReplyDelete