Wednesday, January 18, 2012

AYM/1/ABC

This year, I've changed A Year of Memories up a little for my first two groups. We're doing an ABC album. Some are planning on a particular theme, while most are doing a random album. The beauty of an album like this is that it allows you to scrapbook those one-of-a-kind photos that stand alone. It's hard to create a two-page layout around one photo. Although this album does not have to be about the stories, almost everyone had a story or two to tell. Of course, my layouts usually always revolve around the stories. This year, everyone can do whatever they want. Either way, they will have a completed album. It's been a lot of fun so far as everyone discusses their "alphabets." 

As always, I give a kit of materials. It's really fun to see how each person uses the same things and yet the layouts are so completely different.
I'm making an album for Connie this year. She's already planned just about her entire alphabet. She said that she wakes up in the middle of the night with new ideas. For her first pages, she chose "Amanda and Analise---Like Mother Like Daughter (most of they time) " for her "A". For "B" she went with "Blessed Baptisms." After this first month, I've limited her to 4 or 5 photos. I told her that I don't want to be the one to decided which photos to use. She can decide which are most important.
I'm making two ABC albums at the same time (and Connie's too). One of the albums is going to be random with lots of different topics, while the other will just be about me. My random album starts with "Americana or politically incorrect." The story is about the Aunt Jemima cookie jar I bought a few years ago that Butch had a fit over. He felt like it wasn't a good idea to display something like that. Well, I disagreed as Aunt Jemima is still on the pancake box. Little Black Sambo was my favorite childhood book too. My "B" page is titled "3 Bugs in a Rug." That's a term I used when Morgan and Jordan were little to keep them corralled with a blanket so that I could take a nap. We laid on the blanket with me in the middle. I would wrap the blanket over all of us and hold on to it. That way I could tell if one of them tried to escape.
Judy's "A" is Family "Art". She tells about how important art is to her and her family. She has a photo of something her son made when he was little and then some pictures that her granddaughters have drawn. 
Judy's "B" page is "bubbles." She and her family have enjoyed bubbles generationally. She even did a little research on the internet about bubbles.
Jeanne started her album with "Armadillo" and told the story of the "stuffed" armadillo that our sister, Janice, sent her, developed maggots after several years. Jeanne had the kids (Morgan and Madison) throw it into the woods to play a trick on Jim. Her "B" page is about "Babies and Beginnings" commemorating Angie's new pregnancy.
 Of all the topics this month (and there are lots of good ones), this is one of my favorites. "Awkward Stages" is about Karolyn and how she felt growing up. She has photos of her in the popular,  yet slightly odd eyeglasses and permed hair. I'm definitely going to scraplift this title for myself. Her "B" page is "Baby Cheeks". She has her and Bruce's baby pictures along with their three children. They all have the same chubby cheeks.
Stephanie's pages start with "Alabama Girls". Jordan and Morgan are Alabama fans because the Jackson side of the family is from there. She tells how we are all influenced by our parents. Her "B" page is titled "Baby Wiggles and Giggles". The story is about Jordan's first baby doll and how she was hopping up and down while grandpa was trying to get the packaging off. She kept saying, "Grandpa, don't hurt my baby!"
I'm very excited to have the "young 'ins" joining us this year. Lauren's first layout is about her sorority and the story behind it. Her "B" page is about Belmont Baseball---where her husband went to school and played as the closing pitcher.
Susan told the stories of "Arm Accidents" about Sara and Michael breaking their arms when they were little. Her "B"was "Born in the USA". She tells of family vacations over the 4th of July.

Nancy used "Antiques" to kick off her book. Her house is filled with them---including things passed down from her family. "B" was for "Books" and our book club. She cleverly put some of the book titles in the bingo card slots. I like her oversized letters.
 
Pam's first two pages are about Anna. Her "A"page is about Anna and her love of sports. Her "B" page tells the story of Anna's daddy calling her "Anna Banana" when she was little. He finally stopped when it started to embarrass her.
For my personal album, I started with "Addicted to the Internet"---which I am! I love everything about my computer and the things available on the internet---including my blogs. My "B" page is about all the "boys" in my life when I was a teenager. I was fortunate to have dozens of "guy" friends. Some of these were boyfriends too. 

Janet went with "Antiquing" to start her book. She tells of antiquing with her aunt and sister-in-law and then our side of the family too. Her "B" page is titled "Bunny". She tells the story of their first bunny and all of their family adventures with him. I like how she did her journaling on the computer and then printed it on the bridge tally sheet included in the kit. In putting the kits together this year, I've challenged myself to try to have most of the embellishments match the letters of the month.
Jackie's "A" is "Apple Picking" and tells of her family's annual apple picking day. I loved how she cut one of her photos in the shape of an apple. Her "B" was about her "Bride's Maid's Luncheon" and the fun she had that day.

I was so impressed with everyone's layouts. They were all so much fun. I think this is really going to be a fun year. Imagination is running wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment